Vegan Pierogies – Wild Garlic Dough with Classic Kraut
Exploring fermented cabbage recipes around the globe. 🌏 Today- Poland!🇵🇱
We want to share our interpreted recipe of a very classic polish dish- pierogies. They are stuffed dumplings of Central and Eastern Europe cooked in water and afterwards pan fried to get this golden crunchy crust to it.
Classically, they are filled with potatoes, cheese, ground meat and, you guessed it- sauerkraut. 🌿 our version of it- vegan, with wild garlic pesto in the dough and vegan cream cheese in the filling to get this little twist in taste and creaminess in texture.
Sauerkraut simply adds a salty, funky, acidic twist to the richness of the potato mash with which it’s blended 🤤 topped with caramelized onions and a nice dip it’s simply a dream late summer/ autumn dish! 🍁
So let’s start. Another recipe showing the creative potential of our kraut.
How you do it:
Start with the dough
- Mix the flour with salt, wild garlic pesto and water and stir with a spoon until everything is roughly combined. Continue with your hands until you have a ball of dough. Don’t worry when it seems to be dy at first, eventually it will turn out after a while.
- Start with boiling water for the potatoes and boil them until they are soft.
- Add them to a mixing bowl together with the sour cream (if you dont have vegan sour cream, try out this recipe ).
- Add a pinch of salt, nutmeg, apple cider vinegar, nutritional yeast, white pepper and smash the potatoes either with a mixer or with your hands.
8. Now place half a tbsp into the middle of the dough and softly pinch the edges together. They need to be closed.
9. place them on a floured tray and continue until you have no more dough and stuffing left.
10. Cut onions into rings and caramelize them in a pan while you heat a pot of salt water for the Pierogies.
11. add them to the water and wait until they float on the surface, that is when they are done.
12. Take the onions out and place the Pierogies in the pan until they are golden and slightly crunchy on both sides.
13. Serve with vegan sour cream, onions and loads of love.